Welcome to BrinkZone!
My site is different to the deluge of fitness based blogs which often 99% advertising and 1% content. Here you’ll find the BrinkZone to be the reverse; you’ll also find it full of science based information rather than generic information you can find elsewhere.
I add up-to-date info on all sorts of topics relating to health, fitness, weight loss, bodybuilding, longevity, and what ever relevant topics come across my desk.
I’ll also be invite a select number of bright folks to join me in providing information for you as I can’t churn out quality content every day alone!
I hope you will join me, get involved, feel free to leave questions and comments, it’s all welcome. If you have a topic you would like to suggest, just let me know!
Who Is Will Brink?
I have been a writer for over over two decades and have been published in a wide variety of publications, including: Muscle Media, MuscleMag International, Lets Live, Muscle n Fitness, Life Extension magazine, Muscular Development, Townsend Letter for Doctors, IronMan, Inside Karate, Tactical Response, Police Magazine, Exercise for Men Only, Physical, Power, Body International, Oxygen, Penthouse, Fitness RX, Big, as well as others over the years and in many different languages. I had a monthly column in MuscleMag International called “The Intake Update” for a decade. You name it, I have written an article on it: Weight training, weight loss, HIV, cancer, heart disease, TRT/HRT, nutrition, supplements of all kinds, injury prevention and treatment, and many other topics relating to health, fitness, longevity, and bodybuilding, as well as law enforcement/military related topics. I have put a large sample of my articles on the web page for your perusal. Many of my articles can also be found on the major fitness/health/bodybuilding web sites, such as bodybuilding.com, Lef.org and many others.
Trainer of high levels athletes, police, and military personnel.
“Back in the day” I had a good reputation for getting high level bodybuilders into top shape for competition or getting them ever larger in the off season. That spun off to other athletes, such as golfers, runners, etc. A lot of my clients were actually trainers who wanted to learn more and improve their knowledge about the business they were in, as well as medical professionals and dietitians who were interested in sports nutrition and other health related issues. I was a busy private trainer at one time and ran a small business for 4 years. I also do seminars and workshops for police departments and Tactical Law Enforcement (SWAT). A few letters regarding the seminars I do for SWAT/RRT teams can be found on my site dedicated to Tactical Law Enforcement.
Another service I have performed for Tactical Law Enforcement is fitness/exercise specific training camps. Videos can be viewed here:SWAT FITNESS TRAINING VIDS
Guest on various syndicated radio programs/ guest speaker.
I was a semi-regular guest on radio shows such as the Atkins show, which was hosted by the famous inventor of the Atkins Diet, the late Dr. Robert Atkins himself. I also do such shows as the Carrie Nossler show as well as others. On the bodybuilding front, I have been a guest several times on Muscular Development’s “No Bull” radio and BrinkZone Radio.
I travel to speak as an invited guest at conventions and scientific conferences. For example, I spoke at the GNC convention about processing issues of whey proteins and the contaminants found in creatine .
Prior to that I was in Canada speaking about the medical benefits of whey protein at the University of Alberta at a symposium on functional foods. I have been interviewed on a variety of topics for Fox News and other networks over the years.
I maintain an extensive network of scientists, researchers, medical doctors, athletes, and just general research freaks who I am in constant contact with. Many of the articles I have written in that past were co-authors with various scientist friends and I always enjoy making new contacts with researchers, trying to be of help in their search for answers regarding nutrition and other endeavors. Although I don’t consider myself a researcher in the classic sense (as I don’t work at a research-oriented lab) I have been involved in some research, including:
Kyle Hoedebecke1 Will Brink. “Military-specific application of nutritional supplements: a brief overview” F1000Res. 2015 Mar 10;4:61. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6187.1. eCollection 2015.
Hoedebecke K, Brink W. “Operational stressors on physical performance in special operators and countermeasures to improve performance: a review of the literature.” J Spec Oper Med. 2014 Summer;14(2):84-5.
Brink W. “Task specific supplements for Special Operations Forces and law enforcement tactical teams.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 3 (1)S1-S29, 2006. (www.theissn.org))
J.Antonio, C.M. Colker, G.C. Torina, Q. Shi, W. Brink, and D. Kalman. “Effects Of A Standardized Guggulsterone Phosphate Supplement on the Body Composition in Overweight Adults: A pilot study.” J. of Current Therapeutic Research. Vol. 60, Number 4, p220-227, 1999.
D.Kalman, C.M. Colker, J. Antonio, G.C. Torina, W.D. Brink, Q., Shi. “Effects Of A Guggulsterones Extract-Phosphate Salt Based Product on Body Composition And Energy Levels In Overweight Adults.” Medicine n Science In Sports n Exercise. Vol.31, Number 5 (S), 1999.
Antonio J, Kalman D, Colker C, garza T, Brink W, Swain M. “Effects of Creatine-Pyruvate vs. creatine monohydrate on exercise performance.” J.Strength Cond Res . 1999;13(4):a422.
C.M. Colker, D. Kalman, W.D. Brink, L.G. Maharam. “Immune Status Of Elite Athletes: Role Of Whey Protein Concentrate.” Medicine n Science In Sports n Exercise. Vol. 30, Number 5 (S), 1998.
Along with Karils Ullis MD, Tim Ziegenfuss PhD, Rick Cohen MD, Bill Roberts, and yours truly, we had a Letter to the Editor published in JAMA regarding our criticism of a study done on the controversial supplement androstenedione. See:
K. Ullis, T. Ziegenfuss, B.Roberts, WD.Brink, R. Cohen, “Letter to the Editor: Androstenedione.” JAMA. February 9th, p 742. 2000
Many of my books can be found on Amazon.com
- Fat Loss Revealed. A comprehensive internet based e-book examining the latest nutrients marketed for weight loss, as well as nutrition and exercise for optimizing fat loss. Published by Internet Publications.
- Bodybuilding Revealed. A comprehensive internet based e-book examining the latest supplements, diet strategies, and exercise regimens for increasing strength and lean bodymass.
- Priming The Anabolic Environment. A little book I wrote a few years ago that contains a wide range of subject matter ranging from weight loss to supplements to training. It’s a short book but it’s jammed full of useful information. It’s geared mostly toward bodybuilders but if one reads between the lines it’s easy to see that anyone can get something from this book, bodybuilder and non-bodybuilder alike. BTW, Bodybuilding Revealed is a MUCH more advanced book, with FAR more useful info in it.
- Practical Applied Stress Training (P.A.S.T) for tactical law enforcement. Info on this book for tactical LE/SOF and like groups can be found at the OptimalSWAT site linked above, or book stores like Barns And Nobel, Amazon, etc.
- Recent Reports: Topics covering weight loss, modeling success, training, etc, found on Amazon
- Vacation Gone South: A fiction novella series about to buddies from from a Tier One Unit who go on vacation to Panama and it all goes “south” from there.
Written Chapters for – other books:
“Diet” ( Chapter 5 ) of Sports Supplement Encyclopedia (Edition One) edited by Jose Antonio PhD and Jeff Stout Ph.D. Published by Nutricia Institute of Sports Science 2001. Data based chapter on how athletes can structure their diet to gain lean body mass.
“The Supplement Pyramid” (Chapter 11) of the Sports Supplement Review 3rd Edition by Bill Phillips. An up to date chapter on various supplements for sports and bodybuilding nutrition used by athletes and how to prioritize them in order of importance. Published by Mile High publishing. 1997
Throughout my career, I have worked with many supplement, pharmaceutical, and dairy companies to design nutritional supplement/products, improve existing product lines, assist with retail strategies of these products in fitness, bodybuilding, longevity, or other markets, as well as web-centric strategies. Some of the services have included:
- Product R&D
- Omni and multichannel retail strategies for dietary supplement manufactures.
- Recommending raw material acquisition to keep costs down and quality up.
- Help develop label and product literature to match the product lingo with the buyer.
- Work with advertising staff, as well as various departments within a company to coordinate product R&D.
- Assist with setting up locations and protocols for research, validation of formulas and/or compounds.
- Identify markets for raw material manufacturers through my network and relationships with retail companies.
- Marketing assistance.
These are just some of the functions I have served for some of the industries best-known companies. Interested parties can contact me at my email address listed on the home page.
Informal Education – Life
Formal Education – Graduated from Harvard University: ALB with concentration in Natural Sciences