EDITORS NOTE:  The New England Journal of Medicine (NJEM) currently has a poll for people to vote for or against the use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) based on a case study they present. Currently, the poll is in the negative for TRT, which is totally illogical based on the case study. NJEM is a very influential  journal in the medical community and followed closely by the non medical community, so the poll results do matter as to how both medical professionals and non (including the media…) view TRT. If you’re for TRT (and if you have read the many articles on the topic on BrinkZone you should be!) I highly recommend you take a few seconds to vote on this poll. It’s on the right side of the NJEM page and a tad small.
From Monica:
The highly acclaimed medical journal  New England Journal of Medicine has a poll for people to vote “For or Against Testosterone Replacement Therapy”.
Poll open through Dec 3, 2014. There is still time for health conscious folks and healthcare professionals to make their voice heard.
Vote here: For Or Against Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
Join the fight for the justice of testosterone and men’s health!

testosterone

15 Comments

Comments are closed.

1. rj 4 years ago

The poll is unavailable.

• Will Brink 4 years ago

Seems to be working for others,

• Freddie 4 years ago

I am for TRT

• jim 4 years ago

The poll is working.
      The poll is 60 – 40 against therapy. 98 medical professionals had positive comments regarding therapy vs. 2 commenting that were against.
      It seems that, as expected, the ignorant say no.

2. Brandon 4 years ago

After reading the article and the responses from varying MD’s, Urologists, etc. from what I found there appears to be more in “favor” as “opposed” to TRT therapy. I think this post speaks for itself:
    I am an 86 years old practicing pediatrician, with a BMI of 19, who regularly plays tennis several times a week, and when I don`t, I go to the gym. and start my routine with a 1 hour walking at 7 km./h.- I´ve been using option 1 for the last 20 years, and intent to continue doing so, for at least another 20 (so help me God).- Is this a meaningful example ?
    It boils down to quality of life and the fact that TRT has been successfully treated over the last 50 years. When monitored properly, the benefits far out way the alternatives. Re-read all of Monica’s posts and look at how many references she cites in her articles. For me personally, TRT is effective. I am 49 years old, work out regularly, eat right, on zero meds, and have seen a substantial increase in stamina, energy, sense of well-being and confidence. I plan to remain on TRT as long as all my blood work falls within the normal ranges.

• Will Brink 4 years ago

Great post by an older doc. Win.

3. Reader 4 years ago

Yes for TRT. However, I sense doctors are very ignorance regarding the knowledge of the many years of those in the fitness industry, who don’t just load guys up with test and completely mess up their endocrine system because they are ignorant regarding negative feedback looping and how to mitigate.

• Monica Mollica 4 years ago

Testosterone can be abused, but so can anything in life, even food!
      Extremes in either direction will in most cases turn the benefit-to-risk ratio upside down. That’s a fact of life.
      Ignoring an intervention that brings tremendous health benefits to the vast majority of men because there is a minority sub-population that may be abusing it, is completely absurd!

4. Brandon 4 years ago

Monica,
    I am responding to the NEJM post. When reading through the comments, I ran across this statement and would like your opinion:
    “Bio-identical hormones: If one can boost their testosterone level naturally via exercise and weight loss that is wonderful and preferred. However, if one goes the replacement route, bio-identical hormones should be used (ie no pharmaceutical brand names as they are changed hormones in order to receive patents). Non bio-identical hormones all have different risks of stroke, DVT/PE and MI (though not proven with certainty as noted above in other’s comments), however, testosterone that is bio-identical reduces risks of MI, strokes and DVT/PE’s.
    It is my understanding that Bio-Identical TRT is done by a compounding facility that is not regulated by the FDA. Plus, watching the video Will did on Bio-Identical vs. Synthetic testosterone reveals that it’s all Bio-Identical and recognized by the body whether made by a compounder or by big pharma once it is injected and released in to the blood stream. At least with medical grade you know what you are getting as opposed to compounding with other additives.
    I would appreciate your thoughts on the above statement.

• Monica Mollica 4 years ago

All testosterone you take is identical to the testosterone your body produces, and therefore is bio-identical. However, do not confuse this with testosterone analogs or derivatives (which is another discussion).
      Bio-identical refers to exogenous hormones that come in two varieties; one that is not identical to the endogenously produced hormones and one that is. The one that is, is bio-identical.
      When you see claim about “bio-identical testosterone”, it is merely a marketing gimmick trying to fool you to pay a premium for a product that always is bioidentical (ie, that does not have a non-bioidentical counterpart).
      For more info in this, check out my recent article:

• Will Brink 4 years ago

I also cover the “bio identical T” issue in a vid.

5. ks1233 4 years ago

As always, Monica Mollica presents some very informative and well thought out material concerning anything health related. In addition to the positives regarding TRT, I think that in all fairness the negatives should be presented as well. One of the negatives that I rarely if ever see mentioned is the subject on testicular atrophy aka “shrinking balls” syndrome and exactly what steps can be taken to alleviate or avoid this condition altogether. Sorry Monica, but I don’t think that you will be able to relate to this one anymore than I could relate to PMS. And lest you think that I am against TRT, I can tell you unequivocalby that I am NOT. Rather, I’ve been on TRT for at least a year now enjoying the benefits while at the same time suffering from the aforementioned condition of testicular atrophy. Notwithstanding, the benefits derived from TRT are manifold and cannot be ignored, but just the same negatives should be discussed in the same breath. Could you perhaps do an article on testicular atrophy and steps one should take and consider besides getting off of TRT? Finally, testosterone and its derivatives have been around a long, long time and let’s face it, they work and they’re here to stay.

• Monica Mollica 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience. And yes, the subjective consequences of shrinking balls is not my area of expertise, lol! I do know though that is it more a cosmetic/aesthetic issue than a health risk per se.
      Testicular atrophy may be a sign of supra-physiological T levels which cause negative feedback on hypothalamus to reduce LH levels (which stimulates testicles to synthesize T). If could also be due to secondary hypogonadism (caused by a pituitary dysfunction).
      You may want to try Clomid or HCG, which elevate T levels by stimulating the testicles to synthesize more T (as opposed to taking exogenous T). For more info, check out my previous article:

• Jim 4 years ago

KS1233,
      Testicular atrophy is nothing more than a side effect of improper hormonal management by your doc.
      80% plus of the size of the adult testical is directly related to spermatogenesis. This process occurs in the sertoli cells and is highly dependent on estradiol. When estradiol levels become excessive, negative feedback occurs that decreases folicle stimulating hormone (fsh). Since fsh is responsible for stimulating the production of sperm, any decrease slows or stops spermatogenesis and decreases testical size.
      So, what increases estradiol? Excessive aromatization of testosterone. Properly managing this process with aromatae inhibitors will not only maintain estradiol in the proper range, but protect the testicles from atrophy.

6. NJ JOE 4 years ago

Mild hyperlipidemia, GERD, slightly elevated PSA (although that’s highly debatable), borderline hypertensive, and overweight (by his BMI). He’s already taking a PPI & a statin. Although the article did not mention anything other tennis, we don’t know anything about his lifestyle. This guy might benefit from some expert advice in diet & exercise.
    Definitely try option 2 first. Nothing to lose there. While he’s at it, he needs to work on his other health issues, and get off the statin and PPI, or at least that’s the goal. Far too often, and of course we can’t say in his case, Rx drugs are used by the patient as a license to continue their poor lifestyle habits. I’ve seen guys 10 years younger than he start TRT, and continue to refuse to exercise and eat well, while being perfectly capable of doing both.
    I guess just like in all medical cases, patient compliance comes into play as a mitigating factor. Which is whole other can of worms, e.g., bariatric bypass surgery.
    Interesting discussion though.

CONTACT Me

I'm not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you soon.

Sending